AU Charity wins approval for high-rise at Manly beach
Property Here - Saturday, April 20, 2013
A CONTROVERSIAL high-rise development which opponents say will cast a shadow over Manly beach has been given the green light by the Planning Assessment Commission.
The commission has approved the Royal Far West charity's slightly scaled down plans, allowing two towers of eight and six storeys, including retail, residential and hotel accommodation on its beachfront site. But Royal Far West chief executive Lindsay Cane said the charity wouldn't act on the approval straight away.
"We will now begin a 12- to 18-month planning and consultation phase that will include a review of the overall plan and design," Ms Cane told The Daily Telegraph.
"(We'd) welcome ideas about the development. If we have a choice, we do not wish to sell any of our land. It is also important to us that the community understands we are and will continue to listen carefully to the advice of local people as we work to create a wonderful facility that will benefit Manly as well as the country people we serve."
Royal Far West, which provides health services to children living in rural and remote NSW, will have to lodge a development application with Manly Council for approval for any future works and get approval from the Department of Education, which owns part of the site.
So far the Royal Far West's plans have met with opposition. It originally sought approval for a nine-storey hotel complex but the commission scaled this down to eight to improve "unacceptable shadow impacts on Manly Beach".
Read more: http://www.news.com.au/realestate/news/charity-wins-approval-for-high-rise-at-manly-beach/story-fnd91nhy-1226624781777#ixzz2R9qM0CxK